Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Canopy Tour


There is a resort that is about a 5 minute boat ride away from us called Red Frog Beach. (You can learn more about them here.) This is where we travel to go to the beach (mainly because they have AMAZING showers!!!!!)

On our first trip there we noticed that there is a zip line called "The Canopy Tour." Several classmates commented on how fun it looked, and how it would be cool to go. We had our host, Dale, contact the owner of the resort to see if we could get some sort of discount for having a large group and he gave us $15 off for a group of 10 or more. Mark and I both really wanted this experience so we asked if anyone would be willing to watch the kiddos while we toured the canopy :D
(THANKS MIKE AND LAUREN!!!!!)

We came home from church quickly on Sunday and prepared to head out. We arrived at Red Frog and signed our consent forms, paid and we were off.

Our guides were AMAZING!!!!!

We arrived at our starting point and began to gear up. It was uncomfortable to say the least, especially for the boys.


After getting all our stuff together and going over safety orientation we were ready for our first zip. To get to the first platform you had to climb a suspended bridge.

I don't really remember the first zip much...LOL....I had my eyes closed most of the time! But I arrived safely at the other side and walked up the hill for zip #2. Little to my knowledge the guide informed me there that this would be the last time I was on the ground for the rest of the tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We did zip #2 and landed on the platform, that looked like the rest of the platforms, BUT there was a 3 foot by 3 foot section cut out. Through this hole our guide was going to lower us, one by one, to the platform about 50 feet below it.


At the lower platform you could continue and just do zip lines, or you could split off and do the ropes course.

The ropes course was a series of obstacles suspended about 200 feet above ground. There was a log bridge:
a monkey swing:

a spider web:

and a suspended bridge:

I wasn't able to do the monkey swing, so I was able to just zip that line. But I was surprised at the other things that I WAS able to accomplish!!

At the top of the suspended bridge, about 150 feet above ground, we reached the highest point of our tour. We only had 3 zips to go. This next zip was longer than the others and I was really able to look around and see the forest below. It was amazing! When I landed on the platform the others that were there pointed out that You can't even see the next landing space.

One guide got on the line and made his way to the next point to be ready to receive us. it was then that we realized how long this line was. about a minute later we realized that he had FINALLY arrived at the platform!!! This zip line was .25 miles long and lasted for about 1 minute. While on it (depending on weight) you could reach speeds of up to 45 mph!!!


While coming in for my landing I apparently didn't break hard enough and I crashed into the guide who then crashed into the tree. Thankfully neither of us was really hurt. This was going to be our last zip. it was a "no hands no break" zip. All we had to do was jump and there was a little of a "free fall" and then the line would catch and swing you to the last platform. Everyone else was able to jump off any way they please, but our sweet sweet guide (notice my sarcasm) advised me that I needed to "turn around, put your toes on the edge, and just trust me." as he PUSHED me off this platform!!!

I'd like to say it was graceful and beautiful, but I felt like a duck that had been shot out of the sky!!

It WAS the most amazing experience that I've ever had, and I can't wait to do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment