Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Life in Bocas del Toro

GREETINGS from Bocas del Toro!!!

Bocas del Toro is a region in Panama, but we’re not staying on the main land. We’re on the island of Bastimentos.



It’s amazing here, but it’s actually hard work!!!
We do get to see this every day:



To get anywhere we have to take a boat. We travel about 20 minutes to Isla Colon to do all grocery shopping. (Yes, that is as much of a production as it sounds!)

The house itself is BEAUTIFUL!! It’s completely run with solar power and the water supply is with rain water. If it rains you’re good on water, but that causes a problem for the batteries that operate the house not getting charged enough to power. If it’s sunny out then the solar batteries get charged, but you run the risk of getting low on water!

**PLEASE pray for sunny days and rainy nights**

Here lately it’s been beautiful (but hot), which means water supply runs short and we have to conserve more than usual. Thankfully there is a river nearby that we can wash ourselves and clothes in.



We also bring the river water up the hill in buckets so that we can have water to flush toilets.



I say all of this to let you know HOW thankful I am to be able to take a hot shower without having to turn the water off while soaping up. I am thankful for toilets that just flush. I am thankful for lights that turn on, and a computer that can be charged any time I please. I am thankful for being able to get in a car and drive where I need to and find the products that I’m used to. I’m thankful for cold pasteurized milk (ours here is off a shelf).
This entire experience has made me even more aware of how spoiled I am, and how many luxuries I really take for granted. I am SOOO thankful to God for the opportunity to experience these things firsthand!


Please continue to pray for our group. We are piecing together God’s will for our outreach phase (which will start in about 5 weeks.)

We know that these experiences that we’re having right now are only preparing us for what God has in store for us all!

Thank you SOOO much for your continued prayers, they are felt!

No comments:

Post a Comment